As the fleet industry confronts the pressing challenges of environmental sustainability and operational effectiveness, an effective solution emerges: renewable diesel. This alternative to traditional fuel not only offers a greener future, but also boasts significant performance advantages for truck fleets. With its environmental benefits and seamless transition for fleet managers, renewable diesel is poised to be a gamechanger in the industry.
Environmental and Performance Benefits
If you’re a fleet manager looking to make a positive impact on both the environment and your bottom line renewable diesel just may be the ultimate solution for fleet managers according to Carrie Song, North American VP of Renewable Road Transportation at Neste. Below are some of the advantages as described by Song.
- Immediate Greenhouse Gas Emissions Reduction: Neste’s renewable diesel slashes greenhouse gas emissions by up to 75% throughout the entire fuel lifecycle compared to fossil diesel. We carefully consider every step, from sourcing raw materials to the final combustion, to ensure a minimal environmental footprint.
- Reduced Non-CO2 Emissions: Not only does renewable diesel cut down on CO2 emissions, but it also reduces non-CO2 emissions, such as nitrogen oxides and particulate matter. The extent of these reductions depends on the year and model of the vehicles in your fleet.
- Lower Maintenance Costs: Thanks to its cleaner-burning nature, renewable diesel leads to fewer engine maintenance needs. This translates to significant cost savings and longer maintenance cycles for fleet managers like you.
- Cold Weather Performance: Count on renewable diesel to excel in cold weather conditions. With superb performance and a high cetane number, it minimizes particle filter regeneration requirements and exhaust emissions. Rest assured, your trucks will always perform optimally, no matter the weather.
- Stability and Storage: Neste’s renewable diesel goes above and beyond to provide excellent storage properties. Its resistance to water absorption reduces the risk of product quality deterioration and microbial growth.
Seamless Transition: A Convenient Replacement
Renewable diesel offers an easy and hassle-free switch for truck fleets. Fleet managers can enjoy its benefits without any major disruptions. Here’s why:
- Chemical Equivalence: Renewable diesel has the same chemical makeup as fossil diesel. This means there’s no need for blending or modifications. It can be used alone or blended with traditional diesel in any ratio.
- Engine and Infrastructure Compatibility: Since the fuels are chemically identical, renewable diesel is compatible with existing engines and fueling infrastructure. No additional investments or adaptations are required.
Renewable diesel is making waves in regions like California and Oregon, and not just because of state-level incentives. Its cost-effectiveness stands out even without these perks.
Thanks to reduced maintenance costs, extended maintenance cycles, and improved fuel efficiency, the total cost of ownership becomes truly advantageous for businesses.
Several companies have already embraced renewable diesel and seen significant improvements:
- TITAN Freight: This Oregon-based company slashed exhaust system maintenance costs by 1.5 cents per mile.
- Cox Petroleum: By switching to renewable diesel, Cox Petroleum achieved a whopping 90% reduction in maintenance costs, resulting in over $30,000 in annual savings primarily from decreased exhaust-related expenses.
Challenges and Solutions
Alternative fuels are gaining traction in the market, but there are still obstacles to overcome when it comes to renewable diesel. Many people mistakenly confuse it with biodiesel, hindering its widespread recognition.
In addition, the cost of renewable diesel can be a deterrent for potential adopters, especially in regions without established clean fuel programs.
To address these issues head-on, Neste takes proactive steps, such as:
- Collaborating with OEM partners and existing customers to share success stories, showcasing the benefits and viability of renewable diesel.
- Actively participating in industry conferences to engage with interested parties and foster dialogues about the potential of renewable diesel.
- Engaging with policymakers to advocate for policies that promote accessibility and affordability of low-carbon fuels.
Vision for Renewable Diesel
Imagine a world where renewable diesel takes center stage, reducing our dependence on fossil fuels and delivering reliable, high-performance transportation fleets.
Renewable diesel offers an easy transition to reducing our carbon footprint without limiting our range, increasing our re-fuel time, or requiring expensive and extensive upgrades to our nation’s power grids. It can help us make a significant impact in reducing greenhouse gas emissions within the transportation sector without sacrificing quality or our bottom line.
There are many who would love nothing more than to see this solution implemented in fleets across the nation, fueling our economy in a convenient and environmentally responsible manner.
Source: Work Truck Online