The Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance’s annual Safe Driver week is officially underway (July 10 – 16). The ATA’s Law Enforcement Advisory Board (LEAB) encourages all fleets to take part in this initiative. During this week there will be “increased law enforcement presence on the highways”. This is a chance for those in the trucking industry to create increased awareness of crash causation.
As reported by the American Trucking Association, according to NHTSA:
- Almost 43,000 people died in motor vehicle traffic crashes last year, (a 10.5% increase from 2020) and fatalities in crashes involving at least one large truck are up 13%.
- Speeding has been a factor in more than a quarter of crash deaths since 2008, and between 2019 and 2020, speed-related fatalities increased by 17%.
- Distracted driving claimed 3,142 lives in 2019.
LEAB has shared some recommendations for drivers and fleets alike to help get through this week!
- Set your cruise
- Plan ahead
- Limit distractions
- Plan your stops so you can plan your rest
- Share safety messages
- Invest in training and technology
- Give acknowledgment We hope these tips will help you stay safe on the road. Click here to read the full story!