Have you ever bought pepper spray? There are so many different shapes and sizes you can get. There are a few different factors we can take into consideration before picking the best one for you!
Environment: You want to ask yourself in what kind of primary environment you will be carrying the pepper spray. What is your primary reason for protection? Do you live in a highly populated city? Or do you live in a quiet neighborhood and want protection going on your daily walks?
We have four different sizes of pepper spray:
.5 oz Pepper Spray:
- “key chain” pepper spray
- Easily carry and conceal
- Deliver 6-10 1-2 second bursts (good if dealing with a single attacker)
- 6-8 feet spray range.
The only thing to keep in mind with this one is that most people will not release the spray after a few seconds due to stress. Using more spray in less time.
2 oz. Pepper Spray:
- Small and easy to carry – most officers carry this size
- Deliver 20-30 1-2 second bursts
- 12 – 15 feet spray range
- More room for error
9 oz. / 16 oz. Pepper Spray:
- Able to disperse large amounts of spray (good to handle an angry group around your car)
- The 16 oz. can clear an entire intersection
- Referred to as “Bear Spray” or “Wildlife Spray”
Before making a decision on which one you’d like to carry, be aware of the relevant laws and regulations as some states have restrictions.