Keeping your body fueled on long hauls is important to make sure you have the energy, strength, and focus necessary to safely keep going mile after mile. This task can sometimes be easier said than done for truckers out on the road; however, by implementing a few simple strategies, you can make this task a bit easier. Here are five strategies for staying fueled on long hauls:
- Plan meals ahead of time. Having a meal plan in place before you hit the road is key to keeping up your energy levels and preventing unhealthy snacking when hunger strikes. This might mean mapping out a route and making a plan to eat at a specific place, or it might mean having some great in-cab recipes ready to go with ingredients on hand. Make sure you’re consuming nutritious foods like fruits, vegetables, and lean proteins that will sustain your body throughout long trips.
- Hydrate often! Staying hydrated is essential for truckers who are out on the roads for long periods of time. Avoid sugary drinks and opt instead for water or coconut water which will help keep your body functioning optimally and prevent fatigue from setting in too quickly.
- Have healthy snacks handy at all times. Having healthy snacks available during your trip can help curb cravings and provide quick boosts of energy when needed – think nuts, trail mix, protein bars, or other nutrient-rich options that will keep you feeling energized throughout the entire journey.
- Go easy on caffeine. While caffeine may give you an immediate energy boost, overconsumption can lead to dehydration, headaches, and eventually fatigue – try limiting yourself to one appropriately sized cup per day.
- Get some fresh air every now & then. Taking short breaks throughout your drive not only prevents exhaustion but also helps clear your head so you’re better able to focus as you continue travelling down the road. Whenever possible, get out of your cab and take a few minutes to breathe some fresh air – it will do wonders for both your physical and mental well-being!
By implementing these five strategies into your daily life on the road, maintaining a steady level of energy should be easy no matter how long or far away from home you are traveling.